Friday, April 15, 2011

Let's Go Bananas!

Bananas are an interesting fruit where either you like it or you don't. And for most of my life I didn't. It's a texture thing with me. To eat a banana all by itself? Why would anyone ever want to do that? Nowadays I generally like my bananas three ways. In my smoothie, in a cake or as a banana foster over vanilla bean ice cream. I have done variations with my cakes from nut breads to peanut butter to chocolate.

There is a Chocolate Banana muffin that my husband loves at Mimi's Cafe. So I let that be my inspiration. Now normally when you think Chocolate muffin you think really sweet. But I didn't want that so I used Organic Cane sugar and cocoa dark powder with my glaze giving it a hint of chocolate and a hint of sweet with the traditional banana nut bread flavor. The bananas were also super ripe so the need for extra sugar was not needed.

I ended up with six jumbo muffins and one mini cake. I can't give you this recipe because it's a family secret. But there was a good one from the Food Network Magazine that is good. I will post that recipe at the end.




Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips and Chocolate Glaze

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter one 9-by-5- inch loaf pan or three 6-by-3-inch mini pans. Mix 1 1/4 cups flour, 3/4 sugar, 1 teaspoon each baking powder and salt, and 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl; add your nuts and chocolate chips. In a medium bowl, whisk 2 eggs, 1/2 cup cooled melted butter or vegetable oil, 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon citrus zest (optional). Stir your banana into the egg mixture, then fold into the dry mix until just combined. Spread the batter in the prepared pan(s). Bake until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes for a standard loaf, 35 to 40 minutes for mini loaves. Cool 30 minutes in the pan(s) on a rack, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely.

Glaze
Whisk 1 cup confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons milk, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.

No comments:

Post a Comment