Sunday, April 10, 2011

Beach Cake

I did my very first beach cake. This was fun, because as always, I am learning while I am creating. And I always excited when people trust my creativity enough to make something for them. OK truth, there is a little nervous butterfly feeling as well. A lot depending on what I am asked to do. Because for the most part, every cake that I have done with fondant as always been my first. Now ordinarily, you probably wouldn't trust a first timer with a big event, but praise God that I am being trusted.

There was a birthday party coming up for a friend and neighbor and I was charged with awesome challenge of making a beach cake with Jamaican colors being the theme of the party. Pretty darn cool. So, they wanted a girl sitting up against a coconut tree, by the beach. I thought, whoa! Hmmm...now I am still working on my people. So far making people to look like people has been my hardest task. Just because I have OCD and I would like my people to look like people and not clay objects. Plus, I want to coin what they look like. Something that is unique to my hand.

I digress...so I set to the task. Now, the cake was a coconut and chocolate layered cake. With coconut butter-cream and chocolate butter cream. Yumm-O! I had some difficulty with the lady sitting next to the tree. The weight of the tree and the weight of the lady...not so much. So i decided to have her lying down basking in the sun instead. When you see the cake you may notice two different ladies. The first one in the two piece, my husband said looked to skinny. So I did a take 2 on the lady and she ended up in a one piece. Just in case you are wondering. so here it is.

This is the first lady.


Here is the final product with the new lady.


In this last picture, I wanted you to see the step down from the beach to the sand to the water and the step down in the water. I mean I really had fun making this cake. And I learned a lot, and several things I would do differently. But pretty darn proud for the first one! Yippee :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This cake looks awesome. You did a great job. I love your cakes it's definitely one of my favorite delectable delights that I take pleasure in. Your Coconut Cream Cake is the best. Can you do a posting on it one day? Also, do you have a youtube page? If not I hope you consider creating one soon. I would certainly subscribe.

    So looking forward to my next slice of sugar,

    Amy Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! I will definitely do a post on the Coconut Cake for you. I know it is your fav! I don't have on yet but I am working on it. Is there anything particular that you would like to see on the youtube page? Finished product or how to make?

    ReplyDelete